Refurbished laptops are a bit cheaper than brand new laptops, but they can be just as good. They look and work almost the same as new laptops. However, there are some important differences between used, factory refurbished, third-party refurbished, and renewed laptops, so it can be hard to know exactly what you’re getting.
We made this guide to help you understand what a refurbished laptop is and what to think about when you want to get one that looks and runs like new.
What Are Refurbished Laptops?
Refurbished laptops are laptops that were used before or were returned after someone opened the box. These laptops are checked, cleaned, fixed if needed, and made ready to be sold to a new owner.
Sometimes, the original company that made the laptop fixes it up and sells it again. Other times, other companies sell refurbished laptops. Refurbished laptops usually cost a lot less than new laptops with similar features.
People often wonder if refurbished laptops are good. The answer is a bit complicated. But, there are some important things to think about when you’re thinking about getting one.
Top 5 Things to Think About When Buying a Refurbished Laptops.
Here are the five most important things to think about when buying a refurbished laptops:
- Are refurbished laptops the same as used laptops?
- Where do refurbished laptops come from?
- What kind of warranty should a refurbished laptop have?
- What condition should a refurbished laptop be in?
- How old should a refurbished laptop be?
Are Refurbished Laptops the Same as Used Laptops? Refurbished laptops are different from used laptops, although some refurbished laptops were used before. Sometimes, a laptop is taken out of its box but not used much. Then it can be sold as refurbished. Laptops that were bought, opened, and then returned to the store are often fixed up and sold as refurbished.
Before a laptop is sold as refurbished, it’s checked to see if it looks good and works well. It’s cleaned up and fixed if needed. Some parts might even be changed or upgraded. The laptop is set back to its original settings, like when it was new. This is important so that the new owner doesn’t get the old owner’s files.
Where Do Refurbished Laptops Come From?
When you’re picking a refurbished laptop, it matters where it comes from. If a laptop is factory refurbished, it means the same company that made it fixed it up. It might be almost new and just tested to make sure it works perfectly. Or it might have had a problem, got fixed, and is now sold for less money.
Some stores also fix up laptops and sell them as refurbished. They might even work with other companies to do this. For example, a company like Amazon has a program where they sell fixed-up laptops and other electronics. These programs usually have rules that they follow, so you know what happened to the laptop.
What Kind of Warranty Should a Refurbished Laptop Have?
Warranty is like a promise that if something goes wrong with your laptop, it will get fixed. New laptops usually come with a one-year warranty. A good refurbished laptop should also have a warranty of at least one year. Even though it’s not new, it’s supposed to work just as well as a new one. So, the company fixing it should stand by it.
If you get a refurbished laptop with a shorter warranty, you should check it really well as soon as you get it.
What Condition Should a Refurbished Laptop Be In?
How a refurbished laptop looks and works depends on if it was used before and how much. The best fixing processes make a used laptop look and work almost like new. There might be a few small marks, but it should be clean and nice.
Inside, the laptop should also be cleaned and tested. Anything that’s broken should be fixed or replaced. Anything that works fine should be cleaned. In the end, the refurbished laptop should look and work like it did when it was new. It might not be as fast as the newest laptops, but it should work pretty well.
Some companies give grades to their laptops, like saying they’re excellent or great. Pay attention to these words, and if you pay for an “excellent-quality” laptop, it should really be in excellent condition.
How Old Should a Refurbished Laptop Be? How old the refurbished laptop should be depends on how much you want to spend and what you want to do with it.
If you just need a laptop for simple things like writing or going on the internet, you can get an older refurbished laptop. But if you want to play the newest games, look for a refurbished laptop that’s not too old, maybe just a year or two.
Apple laptops usually last a bit longer, but after five or six years, they might not work so well with the newest software. If you get an older refurbished MacBook, it might not be able to use the newest updates.
Who Should Get a Refurbished Laptop?
Refurbished laptops can save you money and work just as well as new ones. They’re a good idea for:
- Students who don’t have a lot of money to spend.
- Parents who want a laptop for their kids’ schoolwork.
- People who want a great deal and a modern laptop for less money.
- People who like to play games but don’t want to spend too much.
What Should I Do After I Get a Refurbished Laptop? After you get a refurbished laptop, you’ll need to set it up just like you would with a new one. But there are a few extra things to do:
- Check if the laptop looks okay and doesn’t have any problems.
- Make sure the laptop doesn’t have any old files on it. If it does, you might want to start fresh.
- Make sure there are no viruses or bad software on the laptop.
- See if you can make the laptop work even better by adding more memory or storage.
- Test the laptop to make sure everything works, like the fan and the camera.
More Tips for Buying a Refurbished Laptop Buying a refurbished laptop can be a good way to save money, but you need to be careful. Anyone can say they fixed up a laptop, but that doesn’t mean they did a good job. It’s best to get a refurbished laptop from a company that’s known for doing a good job. Look for laptops that the original company fixed, or programs from big stores. If you’re not sure, read reviews from other people who bought refurbished laptops. That can help you decide if it’s a good choice.
- Are refurbished laptops slower? Refurbished laptops might be a bit slower than new ones because new laptops have better parts. But sometimes, a high-quality refurbished laptop can be just as fast as a new cheap one. To check, you can compare the parts of the two laptops on a website.
- How do I know if my laptop is refurbished? If you got your laptop as a gift, the box might have a sticker saying it’s refurbished. Sometimes, you might find a sticker on the laptop itself. You can also look for signs of use, like worn-out spots on the keyboard or the case.